- Fixed links on index page.
- Fixed syntax highlighting.
- Added 第 10.3 节 “缓冲节点查询”.
- Added 第 10.4 节 “查找节点的直接子节点”.
- Added 第 10.5 节 “通过节点类型创建独立的处理句柄 Creating separate handlers by node type”.
- Added 第 10.6 节 “处理命令行参数”.
- Added 第 10.7 节 “全部放在一起”.
- Added 第 10.8 节 “小结”.
- Fixed typo in 第 6.5 节 “与 Directory 共事”. It's os.getcwd(), not os.path.getcwd(). Thanks, Abhishek.
- Fixed typo in 第 3.7 节 “连接 list 与分割字符串”. When evaluated (instead of printed), the Python IDE will display single quotes around the output.
- Changed str example in 第 4.8 节 “全部放在一起” to use a user-defined function, since Python 2.2 obsoleted the old example by defining a doc string for the built-in dictionary methods. Thanks Eric.
- Fixed typo in 第 9.4 节 “Unicode”, "anyway" to "anywhere". Thanks Frank.
- Fixed typo in 第 13.6 节 “完备性检测（Testing for sanity）”, doubled word "accept". Thanks Ralph.
- Fixed typo in 第 15.3 节 “重构”, C?C?C? matches 0 to 3 C characters, not 4. Thanks Ralph.
- Clarified and expanded explanation of implied slice indices in 例 3.9 “Slice 简写”. Thanks Petr.
- Added historical note in 第 5.5 节 “探索 UserDict: 一个封装类” now that Python 2.2 supports subclassing built-in datatypes directly.
- Added explanation of update dictionary method in 例 5.9 “定义 UserDict 类”. Thanks Petr.
- Clarified Python's lack of overloading in 第 5.5 节 “探索 UserDict: 一个封装类”. Thanks Petr.
- Fixed typo in 例 8.8 “BaseHTMLProcessor 介绍”. HTML comments end with two dashes and a bracket, not one. Thanks Petr.
- Changed tense of note about nested scopes in 第 8.5 节 “locals 和 globals” now that Python 2.2 is out. Thanks Petr.
- Fixed typo in 例 8.14 “BaseHTMLProcessor.py 中的基于 dictionary 的字符串格式化”; a space should have been a non-breaking space. Thanks Petr.
- Added title to note on derived classes in 第 5.5 节 “探索 UserDict: 一个封装类”. Thanks Petr.
- Added title to note on downloading unittest in 第 15.3 节 “重构”. Thanks Petr.
- Fixed typesetting problem in 例 16.6 “在当前目录运行脚本”; tabs should have been spaces, and the line numbers were misaligned. Thanks Petr.
- Fixed capitalization typo in the tip on truth values in 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍”. It's True and False, not true and false. Thanks to everyone who pointed this out.
- Changed section titles of 第 3.1 节 “Dictionary 介绍”, 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍”, and 第 3.3 节 “Tuple 介绍”. "Dictionaries 101" was a cute way of saying that this section was an beginner's introduction to dictionaries. American colleges tend to use this numbering scheme to indicate introductory courses with no prerequisites, but apparently this is a distinctly American tradition, and it was unnecessarily confusing my international readers. In my defense, when I initially wrote these sections a year and a half ago, it never occurred to me that I would have international readers.
- Upgraded to version 1.52 of the DocBook XSL stylesheets.
- Upgraded to version 6.52 of 由 Michael Kay 编制的 SAXON XSLT 解析器.
- Various accessibility-related stylesheet tweaks.
- Somewhere between this revision and the last one, she said yes. The wedding will be next spring.
- Expanded 第 2.4 节 “万物皆对象” to include more about import search paths.
- Fixed typo in 例 3.7 “负的 list 索引”. Thanks to Brian for the correction.
- Rewrote the tip on truth values in 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍”, now that Python has a separate boolean datatype.
- Fixed typo in 第 5.2 节 “使用 from module import 导入模块” when comparing syntax to Java. Thanks to Rick for the correction.
- Added note in 第 5.5 节 “探索 UserDict: 一个封装类” about derived classes always overriding ancestor classes.
- Fixed typo in 例 5.18 “修改类属性”. Thanks to Kevin for the correction.
- Added note in 第 6.1 节 “异常处理” that you can define and raise your own exceptions. Thanks to Rony for the suggestion.
- Fixed typo in 例 8.17 “处理特别标记”. Thanks for Rick for the correction.
- Added note in 例 8.18 “SGMLParser” about what the return codes mean. Thanks to Howard for the suggestion.
- Added str function when creating StringIO instance in 例 10.6 “openAnything”. Thanks to Ganesan for the idea.
- Added link in 第 13.3 节 “介绍 romantest.py” to explanation of why test cases belong in a separate file.
- Changed 第 16.2 节 “找到路径” to use os.path.dirname instead of os.path.split. Thanks to Marc for the idea.
- Added code samples (piglatin.py, parsephone.py, and plural.py) for the upcoming regular expressions chapter.
- Updated and expanded list of Python distributions on home page.
- Added 第 9.2 节 “包”.
- Added 第 9.3 节 “XML 解析”.
- Cleaned up introductory paragraph in 第 9.1 节 “概览”. Thanks to Matt for this suggestion.
- Added Java tip in 第 5.2 节 “使用 from module import 导入模块”. Thanks to Ori for this suggestion.
- Fixed mistake in 第 4.8 节 “全部放在一起” where I implied that you could not use is None to compare to a null value in Python. In fact, you can, and it's faster than == None. Thanks to Ori pointing this out.
- Clarified in 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍” where I said that li = li + other was equivalent to li.extend(other). The result is the same, but extend is faster because it doesn't create a new list. Thanks to Denis pointing this out.
- Fixed mistake in 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍” where I said that li += other was equivalent to li = li + other. In fact, it's equivalent to li.extend(other), since it doesn't create a new list. Thanks to Denis pointing this out.
- Fixed typographical laziness in 第 2 章 第一个 Python 程序; when I was writing it, I had not yet standardized on putting string literals in single quotes within the text. They were set off by typography, but this is lost in some renditions of the book (like plain text), making it difficult to read. Thanks to Denis for this suggestion.
- Fixed mistake in 第 2.2 节 “函数声明” where I said that statically typed languages always use explicit variable + datatype declarations to enforce static typing. Most do, but there are some statically typed languages where the compiler figures out what type the variable is based on usage within the code. Thanks to Tony for pointing this out.
- Added link to Spanish translation.
- Finished 第 8 章 HTML 处理 with 第 8.9 节 “全部放在一起” and 第 8.10 节 “小结”.
- Added 第 15.4 节 “后记”.
- Started 第 9 章 XML 处理 with 第 9.1 节 “概览”.
- Started 第 16 章 有效编程（Functional Programming） with 第 16.1 节 “概览”.
- Fixed long-standing bug in colorizing script that improperly colorized the examples in 第 8 章 HTML 处理.
- Added link to French translation. They did the right thing and translated the source XML, so they can re-use all my build scripts and make their work available in six different formats.
- Upgraded to version 1.43 of the DocBook XSL stylesheets.
- Upgraded to version 6.43 of 由 Michael Kay 编制的 SAXON XSLT 解析器.
- Massive stylesheet changes, moving away from a table-based layout and towards more appropriate use of cascading style sheets. Unfortunately, CSS has as many compatibility problems as anything else, so there are still some tables used in the header and footer. The resulting HTML version looks worse in Netscape 4, but better in modern browsers, including Netscape 6, Mozilla, Internet Explorer 5, Opera 5, Konqueror, and iCab. And it's still completely readable in Lynx. I love Lynx. It was my first web browser. You never forget your first.
- Moved to Ant to have better control over the build process, which is especially important now that I'm juggling six output formats and two languages.
- Consolidated the available downloadable archives; previously, I had different files for each platform, because the .zip files that Python's zipfile module creates are non-standard and can't be opened by Aladdin Expander on Mac OS. But the .zip files that Ant creates are completely standard and cross-platform. Go Ant!
- Now hosting the complete XML source, XSL stylesheets, and associated scripts and libraries on SourceForge. There's also CVS access for the really adventurous.
- Re-licensed the example code under the new-and-improved GPL-compatible Python 2.1.1 license. Thanks, Guido; people really do care, and it really does matter.
- Added explanation of strong/weak/static/dynamic datatypes in 第 2.2 节 “函数声明”.
- Added case-sensitivity example in 第 3.1 节 “Dictionary 介绍”.
- Use os.path.normcase in 第 5 章 对象和面向对象 to compensate for inferior operating systems whose files aren't case-sensitive.
- Fixed indentation problems in code samples in PDF version.
- Added 第 8.8 节 “dialect.py 介绍”.
- Added 第 7.2 节 “个案研究：街道地址”.
- Fixed bug in handle_decl method that would produce incorrect declarations (adding a space where it couldn't be).
- Fixed bug in CSS (introduced in 2.9) where body background color was missing.
- Added code in BaseHTMLProcessor.py to handle declarations, now that Python 2.1 supports them.
- Added note about nested scopes in 第 8.5 节 “locals 和 globals”.
- Fixed obscure bug in 例 8.1 “BaseHTMLProcessor.py” where attribute values with character entities would not be properly escaped.
- Now recommending (but not requiring) Python 2.1, due to its support of declarations in sgmllib.py.
- Updated download links on the home page to point to Python 2.1, where available.
- Moved to versioned filenames, to help people who redistribute the book.
- Added 第 8.5 节 “locals 和 globals”.
- Added 第 8.6 节 “基于 dictionary 的字符串格式化”.
- Tightened code in 第 8 章 HTML 处理, specifically ChefDialectizer, to use fewer and simpler regular expressions.
- Fixed a stylesheet bug that was inserting blank pages between chapters in the PDF version.
- Fixed a script bug that was stripping the DOCTYPE from the home page.
- Added link to Python Cookbook, and added a few links to individual recipes in 附录 A, 进一步阅读.
- Switched to Google for searching on http://diveintopython.org/.
- Upgraded to version 1.36 of the DocBook XSL stylesheets, which was much more difficult than it sounds. There may still be lingering bugs.
- The PDF and Word versions now have colorized examples, an improved table of contents, and properly indented tips and notes.
- The Word version is now in native Word format, compatible with Word 97.
- The PDF and text versions now have fewer problems with improperly converted special characters (like trademark symbols and curly quotes).
- Added link to download Word version for UNIX, in case some twisted soul wants to import it into StarOffice or something.
- Fixed several notes which were missing titles.
- Fixed stylesheets to work around bug in Internet Explorer 5 for Mac OS which caused colorized words in the examples to be displayed in the wrong font. (Hello?!? Microsoft? Which part of <pre> don't you understand?)
- Fixed archive corruption in Mac OS downloads.
- In first section of each chapter, added link to download examples. (My access logs show that people skim or skip the two pages where they could have downloaded them (the home page and preface), then scramble to find a download link once they actually start reading.)
- Tightened the home page and preface even more, in the hopes that someday someone will read them.
- Soon I hope to get back to actually writing this book instead of debugging it.
- Changed newsgroup links to use “news:” protocol, now that deja.com is defunct.
- Added file sizes to download links.
- Added “further reading” links in most sections, and collated them in 附录 A, 进一步阅读.
- Added URLs in parentheses next to external links in text version.
- Edited 第 4.4 节 “通过 getattr 获取对象引用”.
- Added titles to xref tags, so they can have their cute little tooltips too.
- Changed the look of the revision history page.
- Fixed problem I introduced yesterday in my HTML post-processing script that was causing invalid HTML character references and breaking some browsers.
- Upgraded to version 1.29 of the DocBook XSL stylesheets.
- Rewrote the example code of 第 4 章 自省的威力 to use getattr instead of exec and eval, and rewrote explanatory text to match.
- Added example of list operators in 第 3.2 节 “List 介绍”.
- Added links to relevant sections in the summary lists at the end of each chapter (第 3.8 节 “小结” and 第 4.9 节 “小结”).
- Made several modifications to stylesheets to improve browser compatibility.
- Added introduction to 第 2 章 第一个 Python 程序.
- Added introduction to 第 4 章 自省的威力.
- Added review section to 第 5 章 对象和面向对象 [later removed]
- Added 第 5.9 节 “私有函数”.
- Added 第 6.3 节 “for 循环”.
- Added 第 3.4.2 节 “一次赋多值”.
- Wrote scripts to convert book to new output formats: one single HTML file, PDF, Microsoft Word 97, and plain text.
- Registered the diveintopython.org domain and moved the book there, along with links to download the book in all available output formats for offline reading.
- Modified the XSL stylesheets to change the header and footer navigation that displays on each page. The top of each page is branded with the domain name and book version, followed by a breadcrumb trail to jump back to the chapter table of contents, the main table of contents, or the site home page.
- Added 第 4.5 节 “过滤列表”.
- Added dir documentation to 第 4.3 节 “使用 type、str、dir 和其它内置函数”.
- Added in example in 第 3.3 节 “Tuple 介绍”.
- Added additional note about if __name__ trick under MacPython.
- Switched to 由 Michael Kay 编制的 SAXON XSLT 解析器.
- Upgraded to version 1.24 of the DocBook XSL stylesheets.
- Added db-html processing instructions with explicit filenames of each chapter and section, to allow deep links to content even if I add or re-arrange sections later.
- Made several common phrases into entities for easier reuse.
- Changed several literal tags to constant.
- Added section on dynamic code execution.
- Added links to relevant section/example wherever I refer to previously covered concepts.
- Expanded introduction of chapter 2 to explain what the function actually does.
- Explicitly placed example code under the GNU General Public License and added appendix to display license. [Note 8/16/2001: code has been re-licensed under GPL-compatible Python license]
- Changed links to licenses to use xref tags, now that I know how to use them.
- Added first four sections of chapter 2.
- Tightened up preface even more, and added link to Mac OS version of Python.
- Filled out examples in "Mapping lists" and "Joining strings" to show logical progression.
- Added output in chapter 1 summary.
- Finished chapter 1 with sections on mapping and joining, and a chapter summary.
- Toned down the preface, added links to introductions for non-programmers.
- Fixed several typos.